Monday, December 19, 2011

"Kings and governments may err, but never Mr. Baedeker!"

I FOUND ONE!
Ok, so as most of you already know, the title of this blog references the popular travel guide of the early 19th-century and its mention in E.M Forster's Room with a View (simply known as a "Baedeker"). Collecting these rare vintage guides from local flea markets is one of my great enjoyments and TODAY I found one while searching through Les Bouquinistes. If you've been to Paris, you're sure to have seen these booksellers and their green stalls along the Seine. These bouquinistes have been a staple in Paris since the mid-1500s, when shops and stalls lined most of the bridges along the river. Having found a new Baedeker in such a place only adds to its charm! (Not to mention the fact that I haggled my way to get a bon marché!) #SuchAPro





1 comment: