Saturday, February 12, 2011

"artsy, fartsy little dweebs"

Wow. It's been a long while since I have actually devoted some time to writing for this blog. I guess I'm not doing very well at fitting into the Generation Me. I hardly think my stories are good enough to share with the world...who would ever want to read such a thing? Now it looks like my generation is getting me into my own world of trouble. More and more people are getting jobs based on their ability to keep a blog. Young people today are only being characterized as incredibly Narcissistic, but now we're also being paid for it...or at least THEY are. Guess I had better get in on this...and so here goes my attempt.

It's a New Year and some of us are a year older and with all these fantastic celebrations NEW insecurities are born in the hearts and minds of us all. Not the case for you? LIAR...or as you like to phrase it "ETERNAL OPTIMIST"--both are dirty in my book. (Guess some of my insecurities are showing?) Well, now I'm a second semester senior in college and am applying for what seems like a thousand things which I will never get. I'm constantly asking myself: WHAT SEPARATES ME FROM THE MILLION OTHER WHITE FEMALES WITH A PASSION FOR ART?? grrrr. It kinda sucks that I love this field since I fit the boring stereotype. I will say that I have more passion for this field than almost every other young person I have ever met...but that only comes out in the interviews I am never asked to attend. haha...of course. It frustrates me, too, that so many people write off my dreams and aspirations as trivial--as having little to do with changing the world. An interest in art is acceptable as a hobby, but never as a career. WHY?! Why do you get to choose???!! O, that's right. Because you have all the money... we art lovers are willing to risk a decent paycheck to advocate for the arts and, in turn, are compartmentalized as snobby richies--or bougies, a term I have recently come to know. Well, it's my goal to prove you wrong!

So now that I have accomplished my blogging duty--shared personal thoughts and insecurities while offering you a chance to judge me--I think we should move on. (Refer to next post).

No comments:

Post a Comment