Saturday, February 12, 2011

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

In an attempt to address the narcissistic expectations of my generation, I thought I should update my bio a little bit. So, Generation Me, here is an updated intro to ME!

I have already mentioned that I am an English Lit and Art History major, but let me offer a few specifics. Most of my English courses have focused on poetry; I especially enjoy the Romantics (currently obsessed with Blake, Keats, Shelley, and Byron). I can't say that my studying these poets has made me "mad, bad, and dangerous to know," but maybe others feel differently, lol. Julian Smith sure seems to think that we English Majors have a dark side (lol).



As an Art History major, I am interested in French stereoscopic daguerreotypes and material culture of the mid-19th Century. I have been researching this topic for a year and immensely enjoy its riches and complexities. Below is the most recent photograph (and title) from my research:
The Orient in the Erotic Stereoscopic Daguerreotype:
The Fantasy of Realism in Nineteenth-century France


Quirky facts:
1. I collect brooches and pins.
(Before you scoff you should know that former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright also has a passion for pins. Of course, the fact that she is now 73 probably doesn't help my argument)

2. I photograph old people on the streets without their permission.
(muahaha. I love old people. I think they are so beautiful because their wrinkles make them completely individual. Their wrinkles tell the story of their life, their smiles, their frowns--it's a beautiful thing.)
3. I share an obsession of Sister Wendy Beckett with my sister.
(For my sister's Christmas gift, I customized a mug with Sister Wendy's caricature.)

4. I go to museums to read and finish my homework
(best idea ever. I highly recommend it!)
5. I search for dopplegangers of my friends and family in painted portraits at museums and galleries
(I have already found my sister, my mother, and my uncle. The portrait to the left is my mother's doppleganger...I found it in the Musee d'Orsay)


6. I seem to have a special affinity for Johns. Some of my favorite johns include
:

John Donne, John Cusack, John Keats, John O'Keefe, John F. Kennedy, Jr., and Johnny Carson

No comments:

Post a Comment